Yalla Shoot News

Yalla Shoot :Why Manchester United couldn’t sell Rasmus Hojlund’s shirt for over a month… PLUS, Premier League could be set to introduce in-game interviews – SPORTS AGENDA

Manchester United’s club shop was unable to sell shirts bearing the name of new £75m striker Rasmus Højlund for more than a month – because it did not have any Danish ‘øs’ in stock.

Frustrated supporters branded the club ‘incompetent’ after being told that the Old Trafford Megastore was waiting on the arrival of the required letter to spell out the star signing’s surname.

Højlund arrived from Atalanta at the start of August. But fans who tried to buy the 20-year-old’s shirt as late as Friday were told that they were awaiting the arrival of the ‘unique o’ and promised an update on Wednesday.

While some may see the issue as trivial, one United follower says it is indicative of how club officials cannot get ‘the most basic’ things right, with the embarrassing situation coming in what has been a dreadful month for the Premier League giants with issues both on and off the field.

‘It’s incompetence,’ the fan, who was unable to get the shirt with the 20-year-old’s name on the back as a birthday present for a relative, said. ‘The big summer signing and you still can’t get a shirt with his name on it because nobody saw fit to get the Danish ‘ø

Man United's club shop was unable to sell shirts bearing the name of Rasmus Højlund for more than a month

Man United’s club shop was unable to sell shirts bearing the name of Rasmus Højlund for more than a month

The club did not have any Danish ¿øs¿ in stock, so were unable to sell the shirt to fans

The club did not have any Danish ‘øs’ in stock, so were unable to sell the shirt to fans

United insist that the ¿øs¿ arrived on Thursday and added that the shirts are now on sale

United insist that the ‘øs’ arrived on Thursday and added that the shirts are now on sale

 United insist that, despite the message sent on Friday, the ‘øs’ actually arrived on Thursday and added that the shirts are now – finally – on sale.

Chelsea recognise women’s success at Stamford Bridge

Chelsea have finally recognised the success of their women’s team at Stamford Bridge. 

Banners noting the side’s many achievements have gone up alongside those of the men at the venue. 

Emma Hayes’s outfit – who normally play home matches at Kingsmeadow – will be at Stamford Bridge seven times this season, the most games at the main stadium of any WSL side.

Dementia fund ‘an insult’

The announcement of a new dementia fund last week received a favourable response across football. 

However, not everyone believes that the move, led by the Premier League and Professional Footballers’ Association, goes far enough. 

An initial £1m has been made available to help former players and their families who are struggling with neurodegenerative diseases and will include payments for care home costs. 

The fund, one of the demands in the Daily Mail’s ‘Enough is Enough’ campaign, is meant to provide support while a new charity is set up to act as a long-term vehicle and was described by Maheta Molango, chief executive of the PFA, as ‘an important step forward’. 

But John Stiles, son of World Cup winner Nobby who passed away having suffered from dementia in 2020, is not impressed. Stiles, a key voice in Mail Sport’s drive, has written to both Molango and Premier League chief exec Richard Masters. 

He says he is ‘sickened to see that a mere £1m has been allocated to the interim fund’ and describes the sum as ‘desultory and an insult to the players and their families dead and dying’. Stiles fears the fund is a ‘cheap and nasty deal’, adding it is ‘not good enough’.

Nobby Stiles suffered from dementia and his son, John, has written to Premier League CEO Richard Masters over the dementia fund

Nobby Stiles suffered from dementia and his son, John, has written to Premier League CEO Richard Masters over the dementia fund

Becks turns to one of his own

David Beckham  has turned to one of his own to help Salford City – the club he co-owns with a number of fellow Class of 92 stars. 

On deadline day Ethan Ingram joined the League Two Ammies from West Bromwich Albion on a season-long loan. 

The 20-year-old full back, who has played for England at Under-17, 18 and 20 levels, is represented by Footwork, the agency Beckham set up with pals in 2019.

 In-game interview plot

In-game interviews with Premier League stars could soon become commonplace if broadcasters get their way.

International partners have told league bosses they want them to improve access while matches are taking place and have made a number of proposals that they want to be part of the deal for the next cycle of rights. 

Alongside cameras in dressing rooms, broadcasters want to be able to speak to players moments after they have been substituted, in a move they feel will greatly enhance coverage.

In theory, clubs would have to provide a player to speak from the bench on a set number of occasions with the hope that viewers would hear from someone who has made a match-changing contribution. 

The prospect received a lukewarm response, Agenda understands, when it was relayed to clubs last week.

Clubs would have to provide a player to speak from the bench on a set number of occasions as broadcasters want in-game interviews to become commonplace

Clubs would have to provide a player to speak from the bench on a set number of occasions as broadcasters want in-game interviews to become commonplace

London law firm to launch specialist reputation consultancy 

Schillings – the renowned London law firm well known for their specialism in defamation – are to launch a new specialist reputation consultancy.

However, the company has not got off to the best start. A press release, announcing the birth of the new venture, named Victoria O’Byrne as a founding partner and stated that she was ‘communications director’ at the London 2012 Olympics.

That claim may well come as a surprise to the formidable Jackie Brock-Doyle CBE – who actually held that title.

Indeed, O’Byrne – who was actually head of media and external affairs for the Olympic Park legacy company – was the comms chief for the NHS’ disastrous Covid Test and Trace operation. But after £35bn of public funds was spent without success that period of her career strangely fails to merit a mention.

Cricket likely to be added to 2028 Olympic games 

There is growing consternation in the United States that cricket will be added to the Los Angeles 2028 Olympics at the expense of the national sports of baseball and softball.

The decision, following intense negotiations between the IOC and LA28, was expected on Friday but has been delayed.

LA28 are fully aware that baseball/softball would be a guaranteed sell-out at the Games and that cricket may struggle to attract stadium audiences. However, the IOC are thought to be desperate to get cricket onto the programme to kick-start an India bid for the 2036 Games. Tapping into the vast Indian market is understood to be high on the IOC’s agenda and could well see baseball/softball marginalised – despite commitment from top league MLB for their best players to participate.

IT’S ALL KICKING OFF! 

It’s All Kicking Off is an exciting new podcast from Mail Sport that promises a different take on Premier League football, launching with a preview show today and every week this season.

It is available on MailOnline, Mail+, YouTube , Apple Music and Spotify

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button